Experimental video


 https://youtu.be/fcZbISGC6wU



     For this 1 min of experimental video exercise, I decided to focus on just walking the Appleton

downtown at night, and wearing the traditional Japanese fashion called “kimono”. My friend Shusuke

helped me with the shooting.


From the textbook page 62, some quotes about “memory” had stuck in my head; “Develop a powerful memory”, “According to this publisher, many people do not realize how much they could influence others simply by remembering accurately everything they see, hear, or read”, “Adventures in Memory” (Mcluhan).

After I finished reading the page, one of the books on the shelf caught my eye. Stranger in the Shogun’s city by Amy Stanley, which is the book I read back in freshman studies. Then, one rough idea just popped up in my mind, “What if a guy in the book from my memory of reading, just appeared now, in Appleton?”. The video puts focus on “remembering”, and in my dorm room as I was remembering about the book, the era, the people, one random guy just came out from the memory and walked downtown. This is the concept of my experimental video. 


The sound is me playing the mandolin and I recorded it using my microphone. I’ve added reverb and delay to the sound so it has a special effect. The sound is meant to remind the audience of the weirdness of seeing a guy from the past in the current downton. 





Comments

Popular Posts