Eric Garcia Talk

    From his talk, one thing that struck me was how he was telling the serious messages about politics,

world affairs and history through vividly revealing his unique originality and creativity. His arts that we saw

from the presentation slides were quite pop graphic arts but for me, how “pop” his art was made it so

much easier to let myself dive into his political messages. Especially the nest of weapons; “Operation

Mom’s Couch'', by actually creating the nest of weapons, people can physically feel and see the

aggregation of weapons and are able to see how the world has been through a lot of wars and use of

weapons. From the Q&A section, I liked when somebody asked him about the idea of letting the audience

step into the inside of the nest. If I get a chance to be inside, I’m curious to know what it's like to be in the

nest and being surrounded by a bunch of weapons and seeing the names of wars (even though they are

not real weapons.. if they are real, I’d freak out..). 

    In addition, this is what I came up with after the lecture so I couldn't ask him about this but I was wondering if there’s any mindset difference between art making as business with clients and deadlines, and a pure art making without any business related; just for himself. I’d say this question is asking about being a professional artist, because that’s what I’m trying to be. I haven’t made any music for business purposes, so I was thinking how my mind set would change if I started to care about clients and deadlines. Am I able to create something that I can satisfy with? Or don’t I even have to care about self satisfaction? Is it actually fun to do? Am I going to need to go through a lot of not fun art makings to keep being a full time artist??


Comments

Popular Posts